2011 San Francisco Conference Highlights
The British American Business Council chapter in Northern California was proud to host the 18th annual British American Business Council Transatlantic Conference in San Francisco, from May 11-13, 2011 at the Fairmont Hotel atop Nob Hill, the most famous hotel in the city.
The conference theme for 2011 was the Impact of Innovation. We explored every aspect and consequence of innovation in our business and social endeavors and attracted an elite group of senior business executives from many of the world’s most successful companies.
The panelists and keynote speakers captured the components that breed innovation, from strategies for funding new ideas, finding human talent – both academic and industrial, to the tenacity of true entrepreneurs and the role of various service industries needed to build and foster innovation, including law, finance and marketing.
The conference focused on The Impact of Innovation within a number of sectors on both sides of the Atlantic, including:
• Technology – Aerospace, IT, Defence.
• Biotech – Research, Novel Therapies, Medical Devices
• The Environment – Auto Industry, Clean Technologies, Energy
• Creative Industries – Social Media, Gaming, Social Networking Infrastructure
• Finance – Venture Capital, Private Equity, Commercial Banking
• Law – IP Protection, International Transactions, Environmental
The speakers included:
- Lord Green of Hurstpierpoint , Minister of State for Trade and Investment (Immediate-past Chairman, HSBC)
- Sir Alan Collins, KCVO CMG British Consul-General, New York and Director-General, Trade and Investment USA
- Gavin Newsom, Lieutenant Governor of California
- Sir Robert Fry KCB, CBE, Executive Chairman, McKinney Rogers
- Nancy Hayes, Dean of the College of Business, SFSU
- Professor Dylan Jones-Evans B.Sc M.Sc. Ph.D FRSA, Director of Enterprise and Innovation, University of Wales
- Liam Mayclem, TV Host at CBS5
- Simon Talling-Smith, Executive Vice President, Americas British Airways Plc
- Craig Thompson, CEO, America’s Cup Event Authority
- Richard Waters, San Francisco Bureau Chief, West Coast Editor, Financial Times
- George Whitesides, CEO, Virgin Galactic
Full the full list of speakers, please click here.